Keto-Friendly Mushroom Gravy
Prep Time: 4 hr.
Cook Time: 40 min.
Homemade Turkey Stock:
- 2turkey legs and 2 turkey wings
- Neck & giblets from one whole turkey
- 3large carrots, roughly chopped
- 2ribs celery, roughly chopped
- 1medium onion, roughly chopped
- 1/2tsp high-quality sea salt
- Filtered water
- Turkey pan drippings
- 4Tbsp grassfed buttter
- 4Tbsp superfine blanched almond flour
- 6cups homemade turkey stock (or sub store-bought chicken stock)
- 2Tbsp arrowroot powder
- 1lb crimini mushrooms, sliced
Making the Turkey Stock:
Making the Gravy:
- Roast turkey legs and wings at 400 F for 20 minutes, or brown with a little oil in an Instant Pot.
- Place browned turkey parts, along with neck & giblets, in a stockpot on the stove, (or use the Instant Pot), with vegetables, salt and filtered water to cover (about 6-8 cups).
- Bring to a boil, and then cover and simmer for 2-3 hours, or pressure-cook 30 mins, or slow cook for 4-6 hours.
- Strain the stock, and shred the cooked meat for another meal. Set aside.
- When the turkey comes out of the oven, pour any drippings from the roasting pan into a medium saucepan. Add butter and almond flour; whisk until smooth.
- Gradually add 6 cups homemade stock and continue whisking.
- Add mushrooms, and simmer 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, blend arrowroot with 1 Tbsp filtered water. Stir into gravy just before finishing.
Warm a gravy boat with hot water, then pour out and add finished gravy with a small ladle. Enjoy with sliced turkey and all the fixings!
Remember to log optional ingredients separately in your journal.