Poached Whole Chicken & Stock
Prep Time: 20 min.
Cook Time: 4 hrs.
- 1whole chicken (4-6 lbs), rinsed, giblets removed
- 2stalks celery, roughly chopped
- 2medium carrots, roughly chopped
- 1medium onion, quartered (don't bother to peel) or sub 1 bunch scallions, white part only
- 1head garlic, sliced in half crosswise, to release flavor
- 2"piece of ginger root, sliced into coins
- 1/2Tbsp. whole black peppercorns
- 1Tbsp. high-quality sea salt, such as Redmond Real Salt or Celtic gray sea salt
- 1Tbsp. rice vinegar
- 1gallon filtered spring water
- Optional: Stems of a few mushrooms or 2 whole dried mushrooms, stems of a bunch of parsley
- This two-in-one recipe yields perfectly cooked chicken and a half gallon or more of homemade stock.
- Place vegetables in the bottom of a slow cooker, Dutch oven, or Instant Pot.
- Set the chicken on top.
- Add spices and enough water to cover the chicken. If using the Instant Pot, fill to the PC 2/3 max line.
- Cook on low for about 4 hours, adding more water as the level drops.
- Use an instant-read thermometer to make sure the internal temperature of the thigh reaches 165 degrees F.
- Remove the chicken and shred the meat for soup or salads.
- Taste and adjust seasoning of the stock. Add water to thin or simmer to reduce and concentrate the flavor.
- Note: Macros provided in Senza are for 1 cup of the poached chicken, chopped. Search for Homemade Chicken Stock by Senza to log the stock.
Enjoy shredded chicken in tacos, soups, salads, or any of your favorite recipes!
Remember to log optional ingredients separately in your journal.