Hidden Liver Pesto Burgers
Prep Time: 15 min.
Cook Time: 10 min.
- 1lb grass-fed ground beef, thawed
- 1/2cup pesto
- 8oz grass-fed beef liver
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a skillet or heavy bottomed pan over medium heat, with a little olive oil. Rinse the beef livers and pat them dry with a paper towel. Add livers to the skillet, sprinkle with salt, and cook for a couple of minutes on each side, just until brown (you don’t want to cook them all the way through).
- Remove livers from skillet and allow to cool for a few minutes - then, once cooled, pulse the livers in a food processor until the texture is soft, like a Pâté.
- In a large bowl, combine the liver mixture with the ground beef, pesto, salt and pepper, and any other spices you desire (crushed chili flakes, garlic or onion powder, etc.) Use your hands to knead the beef and liver together with the pesto until well incorporated.
- Divide the meat mixture into 6 equal portions (or fewer, for larger burgers) and shape into patties. You can use the same pan in which you cooked the livers to cook the burgers, or grill them if you prefer. Cook on both sides, until done as desired.
Serve with sauteed onions and a lettuce wrap, or add a fried egg, bacon, cheese, and tomato for a satiating meal!
Remember to log optional ingredients separately in your Senza Food Journal.