Baja Style Carnitas
Prep Time: 10 min.
Cook Time: 2 1/2 hrs
- 3Tbsp lard or bacon grease, divided
- 1pork shoulder, 3+ lbs, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1Tbsp sea salt
- 4cups stock or water
- 1/2small orange
- 2Tbsp high-quality olive oil
- Optional toppings: Sliced radish, minced cilantro, guacamole, homemade Raw Salsa Verde, sour cream, cotija cheese
- Melt 2 Tbsp lard in Dutch oven or Instant Pot, and brown the meat.
- Add sea salt and water to almost cover the meat.
- Simmer for 90 minutes, or cook on high pressure 30 minutes and release manually.
- Add the orange and simmer for another hour or 15-20 minutes on high pressure and release manually.
- Remove when the meat can be pulled apart easily with a fork. Shred and store in the fridge until serving time.
- To serve, heat a heavy bottomed skillet on high and add remaining 1 Tbsp lard. Add meat and cook until crisp.
Place on lettuce leaves or in low-carb tortillas with your choice of toppings.
Remember to log optional ingredients separately in your Senza Food Journal.